STEP 1………………………………………………………………………….HOW IT WORKSheet
We admitted we were powerless over our addictions and compulsive behaviors, that our lives had become unmanageable.
“For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.” (Romans 7:18)
Directions- ask the Lord to prepare your heart and mind to read and answer the following questions:
- Read each question through at least twice, resting and pondering on each question and allowing yourself time to respond as you are ready.
- Give time to meditate on each answer, or journal your answers, and consider how the questions and your responses impact your feelings, your mood, your thoughts and your beliefs. The key is to move through the questions in a deeply intentional way rather than blindly follow instructions or rush through the process. You will benefit from being as honest and thorough as possible.
- Read and PRAY through the Principle One Prayer.
- When you are ready, share your answers with an accountability partner or sponsor, and pray together. This sharing is critical – this is how we begin to heal… READ James 5:16 —————————————————————————————————-
- What areas of your life do you really have any power and control over?
- What areas of your life are you realizing are out of control? Areas that make you feel powerless?
- Can you pinpoint one time period in your life when your life began to feel unmanageable? If so, describe that period of time and what was happening.
- Is there one incident or insight that stands out to you that made you realize that your life was unmanageable? If so, describe it in detail.
- What does it feel like when your areas of your life are unmanageable?
- How have you tried to control these areas in the past? How well have your efforts worked?
- What areas are you ready to admit that you cannot control and that your life is unmanageable?
- Are you ready to admit your need for God in these areas of your life? Are you willing to pray the Principle One Prayer?
Principle One Prayer
Dear God, Your Word tells me that I can’t heal my hurts, hang-ups and
habits by just saying that they are not there. Help me! Parts of my life, or all
of my life are out of control. I now know that I cannot “fix” myself. It seems
the harder that I try to do the right thing the more I struggle. Lord, I want to
step out of my denial into the truth. I pray for You to show me the way. In
Your Son’s name I pray, Amen